The history of Levico Waters is strongly linked to that of its territory – the Valsugana – which is rich in both ferruginous water (used for curative purposes in the spa establishment), and pure and light natural mineral water. This comes from a different source from the thermal one, and is to this day bottled as Acqua Levico.
The therapeutic properties of the thermal waters of Vetriolo have been known since the Middle Ages. They were mentioned in 1673 by Michelangelo Mariani in his history of the Council of Trent, and since 1700 have been the object of scientific publications.
In 1778 the Levico area was ceded to the Austrian ruling house and in 1779 the empress Maria Teresa took possession of the city. In 1860 a “bathing society” was set up for thermal treatments and the first spa establishments were built. From there the water was brought downstream, the old plant in Levico was built, then destroyed and subsequently rebuilt and enlarged.